Friday, November 28, 2008

Sweet Potato Delight

As you can see, it disappeared before I could take a picture of the whole bubbling sweetness!

This recipe comes from the sister of my friend Lori Weston. Lori says, "I don't like sweet potatoes, but even I like these!"

Sweet Potato Delight

6 C. cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (I used half sweet potatoes, half yams)
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 C. butter, very soft
2 beaten eggs
1/2 C sugar (I used 2 TB splenda)

Mix and spread into greased 9x13 pan.

Topping:
1 C coconut
1/2 C. melted butter
1 C brown sugar
1 C chopped pecans or walnuts

Mix and spread over top of sweet potatoes. Bake 375 degrees until brown and bubbly, 20-30 minutes. Can easily be made a day ahead and refrigerated until needed. Also, if it looks like it may bubble over the top of the pan, put foil underneath to prevent sugary overflow into your oven--ick.

FYI--I didn't know this but when you boil yams/sweet potatoes, you boil them with the skin on, and then it peels right off after they are cooked!

3 comments:

Rayburn Family said...

I wish I would've had this recipe before Thanksgiving! Yum, it looks so good.

CinnaPatty said...

Oh my, I have had different variations of this at Thanksgiving and our ward Christmas dinner. I'm so excited to have the recipe now so we can have it for Christmas. At our ward dinner it was made with squash. It was still delicious.

CinnaPatty said...

Yeah baby. Make this for Christmas Eve dinner. DELICIOSO!