Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Baked Oatmeal

This recipe comes from the Porter sister LeAnne Richards! We had it at our Sister's Retreat this year. She made it with blueberries. Yum yum. I made it with Granny Smith apples and frozen raspberries. I know, the recipe says FRESH fruit, but it was still a yummy combination. Oh yes, my neighbor saved me as I didn't have the applesauce like I thought I did and I used a Stage 2 container of pears instead. Worked just fine!

Baked Oatmeal

2 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup steel-cut oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup applesauce (or pear)
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups fresh fruit (such as blueberries, pears, apples, strawberries)
plain or vanilla yogurt, milk, or cream to eat on top

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl stir together rolled oats, oat bran, steel-cut oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a medium bowl stir together milk, egg, applesauce, oil and sugars. Add to oat mixture, stirring until combined.
Turn into a lightly greased 2 qt dish. Bake uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir. Gently fold in fruit. Bake, uncovered for 20 more minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with yogurt, milk, or cream. Serves 6-8.

1 comment:

LeAnne said...

Glad you made it your own! Thanks for giving me credit...: )