Friday, January 2, 2009

Mom's Granola



Here's an oldie but a goodie with some updates of my own doing! This was originally given to our mother by Arlene Litchfield. As a help I have posted a picture of the rolled wheat I use. I have to purchase this online as Zoom cereal (also rolled wheat) is not available locally at any stores, neither is any rolled wheat. We don't have any great health food stores to buy it in bulk. Sigh. Alas, online is just fine. At least I can get it! Rolled wheat is not to be confused with wheat germ or wheat bran. NOT the same thing.
This recipe is easily halved. This is a basic recipe. Feel free to add whatever dried fruit you enjoy AFTER toasting it. Also feel free to add things like pumpkin seeds, other chopped nuts, etc BEFORE you toast it. Make it your own and enjoy!
Mom's Granola
8 cups oats
8 cups rolled wheat
1 or 2 cups coconut flakes
2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 ounces raw sunflower seeds, unsalted
4 ounces slivered almonds
*1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
*3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup oil
1 cup water
3 teaspoons vanilla
*CinnaPatty additions, optional
Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. I have some salad "hands" I love to use for mixing this recipe. Mix oil, water and vanilla and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix well until mixture is crumbly. Toast at 225-250 degrees F for 2-3 hours on baking sheets. Stir every half hour until it's just how you like it. (some like it a bit more raw and chewy, I toast mine just until it's dry when I stir it) Don't over toast it.

2 comments:

Rayburn Family said...

Did you know this is originally Arlene Litchfield's recipe?

CinnaPatty said...

yeah, I know. I should edit the post and give her credit where credit is deserved.